Wednesday 9 November 2011

Do what you can

A few years ago, I was fortunate enough to travel to Mozambique to see some of the programs that are supported by Australian Lutheran World Service.  I can remember bouncing around in the back seat of a four wheel drive as we drove into the African wilderness and thinking 'where do I begin?'. I laugh at that thought now - as if it was all up to me to change the world!


The thing that impressed me on my two-week visit was understanding a little bit more about how aid agencies work.  ALWS operates in villages and communities with a goal of 'capacity building', which means that local people are empowered to make decisions about what they need.


For example, if a group of community leaders want to build a bridge, or a school, they work out how they can provide labour and raw materials, and ask for help in sourcing concrete, heavy machinery, etc.  The community sets up a committee who will look after the project and maintain it as well.


ALWS also focuses on awareness raising programs, for things such as HIV Aids, child and maternal health and farming practices.  They also provide business programs, women's education programs, leadership development, and resources for schools - such as kitchens or latrines.


It's about sustainable development, with the aim that one day communities will be self-sufficient and able to continue without support from outside agencies.
The picture above is of a wooden sculpture that I purchased while in Mozambique.  It is a reminder to me that 'from everyone who has been given much, much will be demanded' (Luke 12:48, NIV).  Not that I am 'above' those who have less, but it is my responsibility to do what I can with what I have in a way that serves God and blesses other people.  I don't have to change the world, but I need to be faithful with what I've been given. That's my motivation behind this whole Street Stall project!


As a closing thought, ALWS also provides opportunities to give to many projects through the Christmas 'Gifts of Grace' catalogue.  Have a look at it here.  It's a simple way to use what you have to change someone else's life!


Blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment